Saturday, October 26, 2013

K Drama Fever

Warning: Korean dramas may be dangerous to your grades.

Now, I know some of you are into anime or video games, but here's my obsession. I'm in to Korean dramas. Some of my friends like them too (such as Max), and it relieves me because I know I'm not alone.




Now, you may ask, "Why Korean dramas?" Well, I think the Koreans have the best actors and story lines. Compared to the Filipino dramas, they're way better. (I'm not dissing my race. Just their dramas. Hehe. I will also write about why I absolutely hate them.) Well, it's kind of hard for me to explain, but I'll try my best.



When I watch dramas, it's kind of like I'm reading a book. Since I don't understand Korean, I basically read the subtitles. It's as if I'm reading a book with visuals. You can't tear me away from my computer, and if you try, it would take a big effort. My favorite kind of Korean dramas are mysteries, and/or crime related dramas. (Especially if there's a little romance.) It's always fun to infer what's going to happen next.



The drama I'm currently watching is "Who Are You." It's about a woman who can see ghosts after she wakes up from a six year coma. She becomes the team leader of the Lost and Found team (of the police agency, of course.) She works with another guy, who doesn't know about her condition. They don't get along, but eventually they start liking each other. (Ooohh.) Her ability to see ghosts helps them solve murder cases. It's not something you should be watching at night. (Unless you're brave.)



This is how I am when I'm watching a series: I watch an episode. Get hooked. I finish the series. I cry when it's over. The cycle repeats. If you watch me watch Korean dramas, you'd think I am weird. Sometimes, when an episode ends or a commercial comes on, I get mad. I'm like, "Nooo! Why you do dis commercial?" I almost threw my laptop today... Or, I may laugh uncontrollably when the characters are in an awkward position...they can seem so cute. The Koreans are exemplary when it comes to facial expressions. They don't have to say much in order for you to know what they feel. Unlike the Filipinos, who over-exaggerate their performance.



But my preferences aren't just limited to mystery, crime, and romance. I also enjoy watching fantasy. My favorite creature of Korean folklore is the Gumiho (nine-tailed fox). They can have the appearance of humans when they're really not. I believe I've watched 2 or 3 series that included gumihos. A few of my personal favorites are "The Gu Family Book, Faith, The Divine Hero, City Hunter, and Stairway to Heaven." If you've watched these dramas, you would figure out that most of them are set thousands of years ago. (Like the Chosun Dynasty) It's probably my favorite time period for dramas.



However, I also like dramas that take place in the present. The lack of technology can be boring sometimes. My favorite dramas from this time period are "Rooftop Prince, Phantom, Cheongdamdong Alice, A Gentleman's Dignity, Five Fingers, and Incarnation of Money." Most of the characters are always using their Galaxy phones, so it's difficult for me to stop expecting a character to take out their Galaxy S4 (or something) in older dramas.



Now, you may be wondering, "When did you start liking Korean dramas?" Well, my dad was the first one to introduce me to the wonderful world of Korean dramas. I started out with borrowing dramas from the public library. We also watched them on KBFD, a Korean channel my dad discovered. A few years later, my dad and I started getting bored with watching dramas from the library and on TV. It's also difficult for me to wait for a week to see the next new episode on TV. So, we started looking for another way to view dramas anytime we wanted to. I came upon this app called DramaFever. It seemed interesting, so I started browsing it.



http://blogmedia.dramafever.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/header-image.jpg

The DramaFever logo.



On the app, I found a variety of dramas. I showed it to my dad, and we've been using it ever since. DramaFever also had a website, so my dad and I could watch dramas on our separate devices. There was one problem though. Sometimes I would get immersed into certain dramas and it would affect me negatively. Sometimes I couldn't sleep, or it caused me to procrastinate from my work. I knew I had to limit myself, but it was kind of hard. Eventually I stopped for a while, but know I'm starting to return to the "wonderful world of Korean dramas."



Korean dramas are a part of who I am. I've also wanted to learn Korean, but I won't bore you with the details. Not today, at least. I hope you check them out! We'll be waiting...
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment